Pages

April 29, 2014

I Wish for Peace


A beautiful soul in our family has just died after a brief but aggressive fight with pancreatic cancer. I needed to do something to remember him by and just loved this photo that had been shared on Facebook.  I wish for peace is meant in many ways, I wish for peace for Olly, peace in the hearts of all that loved him, though it may take a while for a true peace to be there as the grief is still fresh. Doing this layout helped me a lot and it was great to have time to remember fun conversations and great stories about my brother in law. He was my youngest's girls Godfather, they had a special bond with a shared interest in art, and he was both the girls favorite uncle, he will be deeply missed.


This month we were challenged to add handmade flowers to our layouts. I chose to add two Bitty Blossoms from my favorite Spellbinder dies. I added pearls to the center of both and placed them in with my other flowers.


I also used two amazing pieces of chipboard from UmWow Studios. I absolutely love this one with the hands and it perfectly suits this layout. The papers, stamps and die cuts are from the 7 Dots Cold Country paper, just beautiful!! Finally, I used the filmstrips and tags of Venice from Darkroom Door, as Olly loved travelling and his job was as a filmographer, again they just worked perfectly for this layout. The words are also from Darkroom Door and from 7 Dots Studio and I used many to describe him and things he loved to do. In the top of this closeup photo here you can also see a flair of a dandelion, again to me a perfect symbolism of how brief and fragile life is.

A sad layout, but one I am glad I did.

I did this layout as part of the DT for the Berry71Bleu April Challenge.

As tomorrow is the last day of this challenge, if you have a layout this month with a handmade flower in it,
 I encourage you to enter it and share it with us! There are some amazing prizes to be won!!!


This month we challenge you to create a project using handmade flowers !

There must be at least ONE homemade flower on your project.


I would also love to enter this in a few challenges myself.  I would love to join the Once Upon a Sketch challenge for this month. I used this sketch:


The theme for this month is an event that has changed my life. Right now we are still reeling from the ridiculously short battle my brother in law had with pancreatic cancer. He turned 39 on February 27 and I don't think his symptoms had started yet. He fought the bravest battle I have ever witnessed in the space of the five weeks that the cancer quickly ravaged his body but not his good spirit and his quirky and fun sense of humor. Watching his fight, seeing his friends and family he loved around him, has made me once again remember to take every day as a gift. None of us know what will happen tomorrow, so I squeeze my kids a little tighter and am grateful for a great husband and comfortable and happy life.  There are two tags on this layout and I have journalled these thoughts here. I have also taped the Prayer of the Faithful that I read during the funeral mass to the back, as well as an amazing story from Carl Sagan about Earth and our lives here on this small blue speck...a reading that Olly requested for his funeral. I will never forget my kind and funny brother in law and this layout has truly helped me process what has happened.

I would also love to enter this for the Scrap Around the World Challenge. I used the colors from the mood board, the butterflies and the script font for the large part of the title from this month's challenge. I also took the advice of the mood board and just let this layout develop from my emotions and how I wanted to remember Olly, I wanted things that represented him and reminded me of him.



My final entry for this layout is for the 7 Dots challenge, April Showers bring May flowers. We had showers of tears in April for sure and I have used a raindrop mask and drips of mist symbolizing tears and showers, then handmade flowers and lots of others for my May flowers. I hope that after our sadness we will be able to bloom again in our hearts. I know it is going to take some time though.



Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this layout.
It is the most special one I have done in a long time and I am glad I have it here to remind me of him!

19 comments:

Marianne/skorpionen said...

It's a really beautiful layout and I believe it must have been "good" to make it, helping you a bit through Your greaf.
Thinking of you *hugs*

Dolly B said...

This is such a beautiful layout. You can feel the love that has gone into creating it. Love your title , just totally beautiful
Mary x

Di Garling said...

A beautiful tribute Cathy, you have done him proud. Thanks so much for joining in our challenge this month at Scrap Around the World with this wonderful layout. Di xo

Lizzy Hill said...

Dammit girl---you've made me cry...I saw your FB post about his death....too young by far.....anyways, it's a very moving page as well as a very beautiful page....loooove how you've used the flowers & they work really here, too, for a 'man' page.....thanks so much for joining us at OUAS this month & I'm glad your scrapping was therapeutic....And if you haven’t already done so, you can link this to our Once Upon A…Sketch Facebook Page for a chance at our special FB prize!

Denise van Deventer said...

Beautiful page Cathi and one can really see that you put so much heart and soul into this page! It's such a gorgeous photo of your BIL and he certainly was such a handsome dude! So sad that his life was so short! Blessings to you and the family and I hope that you also all find peace and comfort in time! xx

Paper Attic said...

Cathi, so sorry to hear of this tragedy, my goodness, we need to take to heart what you said about taking nothing for granted. I will say a prayer for you and your family, your page is one of the most heartfelt I have ever seen, just so beautiful in every single way. You incorporated so many meaningful things into your design, a beautiful tribute...hugs, Lisa

Unknown said...

Came over from FB, wanted to see entire posting. To create LO with so much depth and passion is amazing. I hope you are able to create more as these will be lasting memories for your daughter who will be able to feel it when looking at them.
Take care
Jackie

Riikka Kovasin said...

Once again my condolences! But the page is really beautiful and such a good tribute! It's so full of emotions and memories. Thank you so much for drawing inspiration from my mood board and joining us at SATW this month. Huge hugs!

Ania Komenda said...

Hard to say anything. My condolences. Pages with such an emotional story behing are always the most precious. Thanks for playing at SATW

Eila Sandberg said...

I am always deeply touched when young people leave far too soon. I am so so sorry Cathi! You have created such a beautiful page, so much feeling in it. He looks so sweet and kind in those photos. Thank you very much for sharing this special page with us at Scrap Around The World! xox

Paula Calvanico said...

What a beautiful tribute and a beautiful piece. Death is never easy, especially when someone is so young and has more life to live. Next month my sis-in-law will be gone a year at a young 52. Treasure your memories :)

Paula

Zanka said...

I'm so sorry for your loss...It's a strong thing to do such a layout, with all the emotions in it! Amazing piece...Thank you for sharing your story with us at SATW.

Tusia Lech said...

Your layout is just stunning!! I love every detail! I am so sorry for your loss.... I would like to give you a big hug!!

Thank you for playing along with us at SATW and 7 Dots Studio.

Val-Belle said...

Oh Cathi there are no words that can make any of this better. They say that time heals... I am not sure I think that time just enables you to deal with it. He sounds like an amazing young man and I am sure that the loss for those that knew him is devastating. I love that you scrapped this layout in his honour. It will bring you a little peace. Thinking of you all. This is a beautiful layout for a beautiful soul. Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS this month. <3

Riikka Kovasin said...

I came back and also wanted to thank you for joining the 7 Dots Studio challenge. Such a special page!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Cathi, I am so sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose someone so close and so young. Your memories and emotions are so beautifully poured into this layout. My personal favorite of your lovely work. I’m so glad you have joined us for the April Once Upon A…Sketch Challenge and for sharing your layout on our Facebook page! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Keren Tamir said...

this LO is bittersweet as its so beautiful but it commemorates a loss of a wonderful person. I"m so sorry again for your loss. this is an amazing LO and so much emotion went into creating it!! thanks for joining us at 7 Dots Studio challenge!!

Sandi Smith said...

So sorry for your loss Cathi...you have scrapped his memory perfectly. Thanks for playing along at 7 Dots Studio and big hugs to you.

wiosanka said...

I really don't know what to say... Your story is very touching and I am so, so sorry for Your loss...

Beautiful layout and a beautiful tribute to Your brother in law!

Thank You for joining us at 7 Dots Studio!