Pages

January 18, 2011

Starting Afresh in 2011

I did manage to get a few project done for Christmas presents since I last updated...A few potholders...



And gave away some homemade marshmallows and cookies to a few friends...

But now it is the new year and I want to start afresh on a few things!

Weight Loss and Food! I have been so bad this autumn with my eating, I have gained back nearly all I lost last year! I have started the year by adding more fruit and veg, adding more water and trying to eat as little processed food as I can... I am starting slow but doing well so far... I'd love to cut right back on gluten and dairy, but will have to see how to do this in small steps, lol!!

Sewing! I haven't been using my sewing machine that often lately and I miss it! I have done some hand piecing and quilting but I want to do more machine sewing and finally start really quilting that ocean waves quilt I did ages ago, it has been on my quilting frame for more than a year with hardly any quilting done...

Knitting. I want to make several pairs of socks from the yarn I have stashed...I do not need anymore sock yarn...though I give myself permission to buy for other projects, like the legwarmers I hope to start for the girls...

I will be having that operation (postponed from last year!) to fix a damaged tendon in a few weeks and that has spurred me on to some productivity in the sewing room. I'll be on crutches for a few months and will need to live in our downstairs guest room. Dave will move down with me to keep me company, lol! I'll still be able to sew as my "pedal foot" will be fine, but I want to get a few of these things sent in the post before the cast keeps me from driving!

Sunday I sewed 9 blocks for my first entry into the Block Lotto. Katy has told me about it for years, and finally decided to do it...these Stacked Coins blocks would make a cute baby quilt...might have to make more of these again! If I luck out and win this months draw I can see some baby quilt tops being made and put aside to give to friends or donate!


Monday I sewed the pieces for a stuffed panda for a little boy I know... Here it is finished!



...and made two ballet bags with fabric I bought more than a year ago...the girls and their ballet buddies loved them, success! They are just simple drawstring bags using a Japanese linen ballerina print and linen ribbon also with the ballerinas...

I also managed to finish a little unicorn I started on A YEAR AGO for Aisling...finally got it out again while working on the panda and got it done. The lace mane and tail are lace from my Grandma Jones' sewing box, so it was nice to use them... I have one happy customer here who has recently lost both her front teeth!!

Today I sewed two Lady of the Lake blocks for my swap with Katy. I also will start working on a simple squares quilt made from my favorite fabric line: Rouenneries by French General... That one I can continue to work on downstairs when I am on crutches...I imagine there will be hundreds of squares needed to complete the top, since I want it to fit my queen size bed.


Hope to have more to show you next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel quite sure I have the right person...I recognize your daughters. I was on the plane from Newark to Houston in June of '09 sitting across the aisle from you. Your husband and I switched seats, then I switched again and ended up across from you. This is sooo amazing!!! I love your blog. I am just getting started. It's "anything with a needle". Hope this finds you and your family healthy and happy... so good to "see" you again.